Saturday, June 29, 2013

There are so many joys that come from a career in education. Admittedly my career is just beginning and there is much more to look forward to in the coming years and I can't wait!
Today my students took one of their final state tests for the year. I really encourage my students to beat their OWN score and show how much they have learned. I know that education isn't about the test, but there is always a sense of pressure during this time. I am incredibly proud of the people my students are and I know that my love and care for them for always be with them.
This morning we went down to the computer lab for our testing. They had previously spent about 40 minutes working on this test of 60 questions earlier in the week, today they would be finishing it. Each student knew what their individual goal for this test was before they began their test and I thoroughly discussed with them to take their time. While they took their tests I walked around, checking to see how they were doing. It's difficult to watch them and not be able to help, but it also very rewarding to see them use the skills they have learned!
As students began to finish I felt nervous to see their scores. But as I went to teach I felt extremely happy and proud of them and for them. Even if their score isn't "at benchmark" almost every student in my class had an increase in their score. I loved to see how excited they were withi themselves! Their scores show up on the screen and typically I just look at the score, but one boy said "don't look, I want to tell you". His score is 24 points above benchmark! Then as another student finished, his had shot up and he said "yes!"
I was in tears as I watched my students be proud of their successes and progress. What a joy it is for me to be a part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment